STRATFORD, Conn. -- Hearts For Heroes and the school bus drivers from Durham School Services in Stratford, will be collecting items for deployed troops in order to send out hundreds of care packages to overseas troops.
The collection will take place Saturday, June 4, at ShopRite in Stratford from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., with Hearts For Heroes and "Drivers with Heart" (the Stratford school bus drivers.)
Some examples of what the troops specifically request include the following:
- Candy (no chocolate)
- Phone cards (#1 most requested item so they can phone their loved ones)
- VISA and M/C gift cards (#2 most requested item; gives them maximum flexibility)
- Personal hygiene items (American-made for safety)
- Wet wipes, individually wrapped in foil packages (not gel bottles)
- Socks (white or black only)
- Body wipes in plastic pull-out canisters
- Disposable razors (men's and women's)
- Feminine products
- Foot powder
- Magazines (clean content)
- Books (clean content)
- Fun posters and calendars for dressing the place up
- AA batteries AAA batteries
- Movie DVDs (clean content)
- Music CDs (clean content)
- iPODs (empty)
- Small earphones
- 1 GB and 2 GB USB memory sticks (external hard drives) (blank)
- Beef jerky and sticks
- Peanuts and nuts in cans with lids
- Tins and packets of flavored coffee and cappuccino
- Breath mints
Children should be encouraged to write letters to the troops and they will be sent in the care packages.
Active duty or veterans in the area who would like to join in the activity, should contact Karyn Marinella by clicking here.
Hearts 4 Heroes Corp. “H4HUS” is an organization that provides equine-assisted and canine-assisted therapy to U.S. Veterans and Active Duty Military suffering from physical and psychological impairments, including post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
For more information on Hearts 4 Heroes, click here .
ShopRite of Stratford is at 250 Barnum Ave. Cutoff, Stratford.