Contact Us
Stratford Daily Voice serves Stratford, CT
Return to your home site

Menu

Stratford Daily Voice serves Stratford, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Officials: Stratford Fire Caused By Animal Chewing Wires

A fire at 2074/2076 Barnum Ave. displaced five people on Wednesday, April 6
A fire at 2074/2076 Barnum Ave. displaced five people on Wednesday, April 6 Photo Credit: Stratford Professional Firefighters via Facebook

STRATFORD, Conn. -- A fire in a two-family home on Barnum Avenue in Stratford that displaced five people Wednesday morning was caused by a gas stove that malfunctioned after an animal chewed on its wiring, according to fire officials.

Stratford firefighters arrived to 2074-2076 Barnum Ave. about 8:20 a.m. to find heavy smoke pouring from a first floor window, according to officials.

The flames spread throughout the three-story building, causing heavy smoke damage in a second-story apartment, officials said. No one was home at the time of the blaze.

According to officials, the fire was placed under control by about 8:52 a.m. The American Red Cross was called upon to help those temporarily displaced by the blaze.

Officials said there were no injuries to any of the 25 firefighters called to respond to the fire. Stratford emergency medical services and town police also responded to the scene and were uninjured, officials said.

Thought officials did not mention what type of animal chewed on the stove wires, they did say the animal was a "pet."

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stratford Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.