DANBURY, Conn. -- No arrests were made in the incident of a man holding a Trump sign who shouted obscenities at Danbury High School students last month. Police were unable to secure an arrest warrant against the man and the investigation is now closed.
The incident took place on Jan. 20 and was caught on video and posted on Twitter. According to the video and witness statements, the man was waving a Trump sign as the vehicle in which he was a passenger pulled into the school parking lot as school was letting out. The man appeared to be intoxicated and was at the school to pick up a student, police said.
The man got out of the car still waving the sign and spoke some students and adults int he parking lot. Some students took exception to the sign, police said. A verbal exchange took place, during which the man made reference to "(expletive) illegals" being out of the country, according to police.
As the man went back to the car, some youths approached him and a physical altercation took place. No one was seriously injured, police said. The man declined to press charges against the youths, police said.
Danbury officers at the scene did not have access to the video at the time of the incident. After reviewing the videos, coupled with onsite observation of the man's public intoxication and demeanor, police said that the investigating officer applied for a warrant for the man's arrest. However, police were unable to get the warrant approved by the court, and the investigation is now closed.
Following the incident in January, Mayor Mark Boughton said, "Needless to say, it is outrageous, and offensive to our entire community. Danbury is a diverse and proud community, and we will not stand idly by while our students are harassed and intimidated."
Danbury police said school officials worked cooperatively with police in the investigation, and that both entities will continue to work together to ensure the safety and security of students at Danbury schools.